Thursday, November 03, 2011

Thoughts on Soccer



This was our first year doing soccer. At first I was so excited. Lilly looked so awesome in her uniform and hopefully this was going to help her coordination-she's not super athletic. Instead of posting each week, or at the beginning/end I waited till I could get a full scope of my feelings for the program.
Like I said, I was super excited to start. Lilly seemed thrilled. Our first practice/meet and greet went really well. The first game was good....I did notice that some of the parents were REALLY into this....like, super into it. I was just there to have fun. Also not many of the parents were overly friendly, not rude just not what I expected.
There was also the Charlie factor. The game lasted an hour..that is a long time to ask a 2 year old to sit and watch kids run around, and oh yeah, you can't run out there with them. So I spent a lot of my time walking him around, playing soccer with him and getting water from the fountain, which meant that I couldn't watch the game.
As the weeks went by, with only a few days notice of the time, I became more and more frustrated with the mid-day time slot and little notice...this made planning things hard.
With all of this.... our huge learning curve and complete lack of knowledge of how the AYSO works I would have to say....with only one game left....I'm gonna miss soccer-shocker I know. I LOVED watching my girl run out there, giving it her all. I loved pushing her to do something she wasn't always the most excited to do. I loved her learning about disappointment and team work and friendship. I loved that my grandma and aunt made it to many many games and were as excited to see her as I was. I loved seeing Charlie cheer his sissy on and run thru the parent made tunnel. I didn't come out of this season with any lifelong friends, or ultimate love for soccer...but I did come away with more flexibility and dare I say I'm looking forward to next season. Because if there is one thing I've learned...being a parent means doing a lot of things you don't want to do so your kids can have fun.









No comments: